stopped from working on Temple Mount wall
By Etgar Lefkovits
JERUSALEM (September 7) - Wakf
officials who were doing unsupervised construction work on the
southern wall of the Temple Mount earlier this week were evicted by
police, security officials said yesterday.
The unprecedented work on Monday followed reports that sections of
the wall were in danger of collapse, likely due to past Wakf work in
Solomon's Stables located just above.
The southern wall was the subject of a Sunday meeting between
Antiquities Authority Jerusalem regional archeologist Jon Seligman
and senior Wakf officials, sources said.
Seligman refused to comment.
On Monday, 10 Wakf officials were seen lowering construction
materials from the Temple Mount to the base of the southern wall
with no archeologist on hand, in what may have been an attempt to
buttress the section of the wall that is bulging out.
A guard from the nearby archeological park alerted police, who
ordered the construction immediately stopped.
Jerusalem police spokesman Shmuel Ben-Ruby confirmed yesterday that
police did not allow the Wakf to carry out the work "since it
did not coordinate their moves with police."
Seligman, who is in charge of supervising any work going on at the
site, also refused to comment about the Wakf work. He has not been
allowed on the Temple Mount for nearly a year due to police
regulations barring all non-Muslims from the site in fear of renewed
Archeologists from the Committee against the Destruction of
Antiquities on the Temple Mount were up in arms following the latest
revelations of Wakf work.
"It cannot be that the Wakf can take these unilateral moves
without any archeological supervision," said Dr. Eilat Mazar,
of Hebrew University,a leading member of the committee.
"The cement that Wakf officials were seen putting between the
stones of the protruding wall shows what primitive methods they are
using to deal with this problem and exemplifies the extent of the
risk and the negligence the prime minister is displaying in not
properly dealing with this issue."
The committee, which has been decrying the ongoing Wakf work for
more than a year, sent a blistering letter to Prime Minister Sharon
this week, asking for an urgent meeting with him over the continued
Three months ago, the committee revealed that the Wakf was cleaning
ancient cisterns on the Mount. The police confirmed this last month.
Internal Security Minister Uzi Landau recently termed the barring of
Jews, Christians, and archeologists from the site an anomaly that
"runs against all the basic principles of the state." But
he said that at present the government has not acted to change the
restrictions placed on non-Muslims due to the "special
sensitivities" of the site at this tense time.